The 2021 Mercer County FFA Banquet scheduled for March 4, 2021 has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A virtual Mercer County FFA Awards presentation will be released on that date.
MERCER COUNTY SECTION 4 CREED SPEAKING RESULTS
On March 17th we had two students compete in the Section 4 Creed Speaking contest. Isabel Colon received 2nd place at Section and is now advancing to the District 1 contest. Corbin Sturgill placed 3rd, but due to only 1 school representative being allowed in the top 3, he placed 4th.
We are so proud of these two and their accomplishments.
FFA DISTRICT 1 PROFICIENCY WINNERS & STAR FINALIST
Anna Wagner of the Mercer County FFA Chapter was named the FFA District 1 Star in Agri-Business at the District 1 Proficiency Awards held virtually the week of March 8th. The District 1 Star in Agri-Business is the top FFA member in a non-production area in the northwestern part of Illinois comprising FFA Sections 1-5. In being named the District 1 Star in Agri-Business, Miss Wagner is a finalist for the FFA Star in Agri-Business of Illinois competition which will be held virtually on March 27th.
Megan Gray and Katie Wagner of the Mercer County FFA Chapter won FFA District 1 Proficiency Awards at the District 1 Proficiency Awards held virtually the week of March 8th. Miss Gray won the area of Diversified Livestock Production and Miss Wagner in the area of Small Animal Care and Production. District 1 FFA is the northwestern part of Illinois comprising FFA Sections 1-5. In being named the District 1 Proficiency Award winners, Megan and Katie are finalists for the FFA State Proficiency Awards competition which will be held virtually on March 27th.
Mercer County FFA Members - State FFA Degrees
Three Mercer County FFA members have been recommended to receive their Illinois State FFA Degree. Final action on the degree will be held at the Illinois State FFA Convention in June. The State FFA Degree is the highest degree bestowed by the Illinois Association FFA.
To be eligible to receive the State FFA Degree from the Illinois Association, the member must meet the following minimum qualifications:
1. Have received the Chapter FFA Degree.
2. Have been an active FFA member for at least two years (24 months) at the time of receiving the State FFA Degree.
3. While in school, have completed the equivalent of at least two years (360 hours) of systematic school instruction in agricultural education at or above the ninth grade level, which includes a supervised agricultural experience program.
4. A student after entering Agricultural Education must have earned at least $1,500 or worked at least 750 hours in excess of scheduled class time in a supervised agricultural experience program.
5. A student after entering Agricultural Education must have productively invested at least $1,000.
6. Demonstrate leadership ability by:
a. Performing ten procedures of parliamentary law.
b. Giving a six-minute speech on a topic relating to agriculture or the FFA.
c. Serving as an officer, committee chairperson or participating member of a chapter committee.
7. Have participated in the planning and completion of the chapter Program of Activities.
8. Have participated in at least five different FFA activities above the chapter level.
9. The member's local chapter must certify that it has held not less than twelve (12) meetings during the preceding twelve (12) month period.
10. Be in the upper 40 percent of the class in scholarship or have an average of a 3.5 on a 5.0 scale or 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in all school subjects during the entire period of application for the State FFA Degree. (Only option eligible is the point system used by the student's school)
11. Have participated in at least 25 hours of community service activities
Students recommended for the Illinois Association State FFA Degree from the Mercer County FFA are:
Mercer County FFA Member Name Sectiona 4 FFA Star in Agri-Business
Anna Wagner of the Mercer County FFA Chapter was named the Section 4 Star in Agri-Business at the Section 4 FFA State Degree Interviews held on Thursday at Knoxville High School. Due to COVID restrictions only the FFA Advisors were present at the competition.
The Star in Agri-Business Award is presented to the top FFA member with a Business Supervised Agricultural Experience Program (Record-book / Project) combined with outstanding contributions to the FFA through Leadership, Personal Growth and Career Success. In addition, Anna has been recommended for her State FFA Degree.
The Section 4 FFA comprises 10 schools in Rock Island, Mercer, Knox, Warren, Henderson and Fulton counties.
Miss Wagner moves to District 1 FFA competition to be held virtually the second week of March.
Section 4 FFA Proficiency Awards
The Section 4 FFA Proficiency (Record Book - Project) Competition was held February 12th at Knoxville High School. Due to COVID restrictions only the FFA Advisors were present for the judging. Five students from the Mercer County FFA Chapter won Section Proficiency Awards. These students move on to the FFA District 1 competition to be held virtually the second week of March.
Robby Holtschlag - Agricultural Services
Carson Holmes - Beef Production Placement
Megan Gray - Diversified Livestock Production
Anna Wagner - Nursery Operations
Katie Wagner - Small Animal Care
Mercer County FFA Competes in Section 4 FFA Agronomy Contest
The Mercer County FFA Chapter competed at the Section 4 FFA Crop Judging Contest held virtually due to the COVID 19 pandemic.. The novice team placed 3rd and the varsity team placed 8th. Justin Nipper placed 6th individually in the Novice division.
Varsity team: Megan Gray Hallie Schreurs Anna Frienden Shelton Biddle Cael Duncan
Novice Team: L-R Justin Nipper Caidel Monson Tristan Headley Emily Smith
Mercer County FFA - Section 4 Land Use Contest
The Section 4 FFA Land Use Contest was held virtually due to COVID 19. The Mercer County FFA Varsity and Novice teams placed second out of the 10 schools in the Section 4 FFA. United FFA won both the varsity and novice divisions.
Placing in the top 10 individually for Mercer County were:
Varsity: Tristan Headley 8th place
Hallie Schreurs 9th place
Novice: Aubree Hoftender 10th plac
Mercer County FFA Novice Land Use Team
Nick Headspeth, Essie Lloyd, Gracie Lloyd, Aubrey Hoftender
Mercer County FFA Varsity Land Use Team
Matthew Lucas, Hallie Schreurs, Shelton Biddle, Justin Nipper, Tristan Headley, Megan Gray, (not pictured) Makayla Engle